Friday, August 5, 2022

Should I cross myself on street when I see Church?


It often happens that I pass by a church, not too near, not too far either. Should I cross myself in such instances as there are usually lots of people around, and this sort of behaviour could be a shock to them. Is this a sin when I fear to cross myself, for example, when I see the church from the train? Is this a sin that our Lord is saying about: “Whosoever therefore shall be ashamed of me and of my words in this adulterous and sinful generation; of him also shall the Son of man be ashamed, when he cometh in the glory of his Father with the holy angels.”
--------------------------------------------------------------------

Valaam Elder:
It is good to cross oneself in a quiet manner – I think this will not shock other people. Carefully consider everything you do. It is one thing to go past the church, but another to see it from the train. One should avoid extremes in every single deed, and they are here – either to completely stop crossing oneself, or to be like a Pharisee, and bow everywhere.